Monday, January 31, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce - Freezer Style

I know for some people spaghetti sauce means opening a can of Ragu and heating it up. If that is the case, you obviously didn't grow up at my house. I don't know that I have ever seen my mother open a can of ANYTHING and just serve it up. So, she taught us how to make our own sauce. I am not claiming it is anything to die for, but it is what I crave when I want pasta. So, since I bought 10 pounds of hamburger when I made meatloaf, I whipped up an extra large batch of spaghetti tonight.

At my house, spaghetti sauce is made up of tomato sauce, canned tomatoes blended to a puree, hamburger, mushrooms (canned or fresh, whatever I have on hand), black olive slices, celery, green peppers - roasted or fresh, oregano, basil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. I wish I could give you some idea of the proportions (I was so aggravated with my mother's recipes that didn't give them when I went to college) but that would be fantasy. I just toss the stuff in until it tastes good and then let is simmer. The batch I made tonight yielded one meal and then three 2.5 cup freezer portions. I just put the sauce in Ziploc bags and am freezing them that way. They take less space in the freezer, and I think they will thaw better since there is more surface area. Anyway, three more meals in the freezer!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: